Sunday 15 March 2009

Sudan: Appeal to be launched in Bashir ruling

Link: World court prosecutor to appeal Bashir genocide ruling [Reuters]

It is without a doubt the most important location of genocidal atrocities in the world today and yet I have not given any attention in this blog to Darfur or Sudan. I have been stalled by my inability to understand the situation and my concurrent desire to do it justice when I do post about it.

The world can't wait until I get my head around it though and important motions are taking place at the International Criminal Court in The Hague in the Netherlands. Sudan's president Omar Hassan al-Bashir has been indicted last week on seven counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity but he was not charged with genocide. ICC prosecutors intend to appeal this decision as they would like genocide charges to be brought against Darfur.

This is an incredibly important event as it has taken so long to get international recognition that a genocide is even happening in Sudan.

SHARE:

No comments

© A Passion to Understand

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig