Slider[Style1]

Style2

Style3[OneLeft]

Style3[OneRight]

Style4

Style5

Following on from my post on child soldiers last week, I have decided to feature a post on how you can get involved and help in various areas of the world. You can comment here or email missus.emm [at] gmail [dot] com if you would like your cause featured here and I will put a permanent link to this post in my side bar.



Liberia


Future Guardians of Peace

Help former child soldiers from Liberia in their education and development. This fantastic programme helps former child soldiers reintegrate into their community, continue their education and become meaningful and contributing members of society. They desperately need your help!



South Africa


Children of the Dawn

This is a South African community based programme where you can sponsor an Aids/HIV orphan to be schooled, homed and supported in their own community. At present, Children of the Dawn cares for hundreds of children over six rural communities but they need your help!  It costs less than 50p or $1 a day to sponsor a child.



Australia

Smith Family's Learning for Life program

I discovered this over at Jayne's excellent blog Gleeful.  This is an Australian programme where you can sponsor a disadvantaged child.  They are currently helping 27,000 children and you can sponsor a child for about AU$1 a day.

About Mandy Southgate

Mandy Southgate is an accountant living and working in London. She is passionate about world events such as genocide and apartheid and has a desire to understand how these events continue to occur in the modern world. With a focus on the 20th and 21st centuries, A Passion to Understand reflects her continuing research and reading on these topics.
«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

10 comments:

  1. Dear Emm, I like your blog each day more. We all have to look around, understand and do! Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a show where I interviewed Bobby Baily, an activist working to free child soldiers in the Congo. If you would like to take a listen to what he had to say and how you can help, here is the link.

    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/TheAxisOfStevil/2009/04/19/The-Axis-2-The-Rescue

    ReplyDelete
  3. In recognition of this blog I hereby award you with the BINGO Beautiful Blog Award. You can collect it at http://modernhistorian.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-award-for-modern-historian.html

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Italo & Gaelikaa: Thanks guys!

    @ Steve: Wow, thanks for the link. Invisible Children has been on my "to blog" list for a while and I can put your link in there now too.

    @ Stepterix: Thank you so much! I've just spent three hours typing up the Blog Carnival, can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog and so many worthy causes...if only money was no object!

    I also read about a fantastic project recently aimed at educating girls in poor countries....what was it called.... Let me have a think, and I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Frisky Librarian: Cool - let me know if you remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Emm, I love your passion for "passion to understand". I've been wanting to tell how much I love this blog for a long time. Thank you for writing it and making this contribution. I believe people need to be aware of the atrocities that concern the underdog, and you eloquently inform us in a down to earth way, that inspires the reader to take action. Keep Writing! I am going to send this to my friends in California.


    Lady Sabrina

    kisses,
    LadySabrina
    from Sabrina's London Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Sabrina: Thank you Sabrina! I am struggling to juggle my blogging responsibilities this year so perhaps your nice comment will hep me to get back on track with this poor, neglected blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Emma, just wondering if you could possibly include the makomborero Zimbabwe charity in the list - with the reach that your blog has I'm sure it would mean an awful lot to the Albertyns

    Thanks in advance!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete

I love comments but delete spam.

HINT: use the "Name/URL" function to get a free backlink straight to your blog!


Top